The Weld Club is recognised as Western Australia’s leading gentlemen’s club. Formed in 1871 it took its name from that of its first patron, the then Governor of Western Australia, later Sir Frederick Weld GCMG. Among the fifty founding members were the Chief Justice, the Colonial Secretary, the Surveyor General, the Colonial Treasurer, the private secretary to the Governor, several members of the Legislative Council, the Commissioner of Police, three doctors (including the Colonial Surgeon), three lawyers, two graziers, several merchants, a headmaster, a harbourmaster, a pearler and the Chaplain to the convict department. An eclectic group!
The present Club House, a two-story Federation Queen Anne style brick and timber construction with a prominent tower belvedere, is located in landscaped grounds opposite the Supreme Court of Western Australia, at the corner of Barrack Street and The Esplanade. It was built in 1892 to the design of prominent Perth architect and militia soldier J J Talbot Hobbs (later Lieutenant General Sir John Talbot Hobbs, KCB, KCMG, VD, Commander of the 5th Australian Division in the Great War). The building is listed by the Heritage Council of Western Australia. A major restoration was undertaken in the 1980’s.